Thursday, November 15, 2007

Mine Mine Mind



Some people have been asking me lately, “Why don’t you go to grad school? You’d have no trouble finding a job if you went to grad school.”
Well, the thought of grad school gives me the shakes. Shelling out an ungodly amount of money, putting real life on hold, studying who knows what, with no definite guarantee of finding a job on the other end, who needs it? Yet when my half hearted attempt at freelancing started to grow old, I decided I could use a little more order in my day-to-day life. But I don't necessarily think the world needs another Urban Planner.

So with that, I finally sucked it up and went to an employment agency. Nothing seems more worthwhile to me at this point than finding someone else to find me a job. After a rigorous computer test (I can type 75 wpm, but my Excel skills are lacking), I met with a fast-talking New Yorker who told me she’s going to amend my resume then send me on my way. What I once thought looked like an “eclectic” background, evidently makes me seem like I have no “focus,” with a little bit of music here, some publishing and film there.

Fortunately enough, I am able to turn down jobs at this point in my life, something I’ve already done a couple of times in the hopes of finding the one. By my own accord, I went to a few more interviews this week, some Canadian TV here, animation there, and, finally, one gig that I’m crossing my fingers and toes for: Someone would actually pay me to read novels all day and say, “Hey, this should be a movie.”

And if that doesn’t pan out, I’ll try temping, which will at least give me the opportunity to shove my little foot in the door somewhere. Then maybe my elbow will follow, shoulder, hands, the rest of it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Maggie said...

good one. real good.

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dont make fun of urban planners.

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home