Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Puddle City Racing Lights

image

Because it’s mandatory that I have a California drivers license, I carved out an entire afternoon for the DMV today. With me, I brought two scripts, a magazine, and a novel -- that’s how much time I thought I would have. Wasting away at the LA DMV is apparently a myth, however, seeing as I was in and out of there in less than an hour, with hardly any time at all to crack a script. I probably could’ve made it out of there faster, too, if I didn’t have to concentrate so hard on the written driving test.
Example:
You are going to make a left turn from a dedicated left-turn lane when a yellow arrow appears for your lane. You should:
a) Speed up to get through the intersection
b) Stop and not turn under any circumstance
c) Be prepared to obey the next signal that appears

Questions like these made my palms sweat and my mind clash. What makes a left-turn lane dedicated? In LA it seems illegal not to speed up for the left turn once that light hits yellow, but to not turn any under circumstance seems a bit extreme, and the third option just seems like filler.
So that was the sixth question I missed. The state only allows you to answer six questions incorrectly, which means I just barely scraped by, which is good enough for me. And, of course, during the height of rush hour, I almost spent more time in traffic on my way home than I did at the DMV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home