Monday, October 01, 2007

Cease to Begin

image

I arrived in LA one week & three days ago and, since then, I've been doing a lot of driving. This whole driving bit is new to me, considering I hadn't really driven a car in about six years. But I'm getting the hang of it. Sometimes it's cool -- it almost feels like a video game -- and sometimes it's not. I get lost, a lot.

And no matter that I learned how to parallel park prior to moving here, I still need tons of practice in that arena. People love to honk at me when I'm parking! Not that I care, although I have decided that I don't really mind walking fifteen minutes from my parking space to my destination, so long as it means I don't have to parallel park.

At times, though, driving for me is downright terrifying. The 110 at night, for instance, seems to stretch into thirty different lanes, with cars zooming by at over 80mph, the "eye-in-the-sky" helicopter looming above, looking for whatever outlaw is on the lose.

And, this one time, I almost killed a man (pedestrian). Damn near drove right into him, giving him quite the scare, poor guy. I was making a right turn and I guess I didn't check right one more time, like you're supposed to, and whoops. But I was quick on the brakes, he was spry, and I probably would've only broken his legs anyway.

Yes, some days are better than others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home