Friday, March 10, 2006

Everything All the Time

This weekend, one of my dearest friends is visiting from Seattle,



my most beloved borough.

I lived in Seattle for three years and not a SINGLE person, with the exception of various family members, came out there to visit me. Now that I’m in New York, everybody I’ve ever met is booking a spot on my couch. Sure, they’re coming to see me but I know that they are really visiting New York.

It’s very difficult to show out-of-towners everything I like about New York within the limited span of three days. Another friend, who is visiting in April, told me that he doesn’t care what we do during his stay; he just wants to “hang out.”

I tried, in vain, to explain to him that there is no “hanging out” in New York. Well, not if you’re only here for a weekend. This weekend, like every other weekend I’ve been here, there are about 8,675 things going on and I want to do every.single.one.

My usual solution is simple: forgo sleep for a couple of days. It's true what they say, this city does give you A.D.D. Quite frequently, I will be out having a great time but in the back of my mind, I know that there is something else going on somewhere else. And I'm missing it. It’s sick, really, and an impossible challenge in that New York drains not only your wallet, but also your energy.

I have a coworker, we'll call him Mark, who laughs at my enthusiasm for the city. "Oh you'll get your fill soon enough. Just wait until you become jaded, like me," he taunts.

Why then does he choose to remain in New York? The second this city starts to turn me off, I'm outta here.

For this particular weekend, I was presented with the task of finding a selection of vegan restaurants for my herbivorous house guest. I also made a promise to abstain from meat and dairy products for three days. Gone, for three days, will be my time as a low maintenance eater, ducking into a pizza shop and grabbing a slice in under ten minutes. Now eating will be a production, albeit a healthier production. The last time I tried going vegan for a couple of days, I didn’t shit right for two weeks, so hopefully that won’t happen again.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1,975 miles versus 762 miles.

That's all I'm sayin'.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Toby Shuster said...

now you know that wasn't directed towards you, or anybody in particular, i was just sayin'...

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seem to remember a particular weekend I came to visit you in Seattle, so, a SINGLE person came to see you. It doesnt change your point though, I like this blog thing. See you soon!

11:07 AM  
Blogger Toby Shuster said...

ok FINE, this entry is a total fabrication.

see you tomorrow!!

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home