Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Reese Witherspoon's Chin Takes All

Well, Toby Shuster, of Jerusalem, I am almost positive that you missed the 78th Academy Awards. It’s not that I doubt your commitment to the art of cinema, but rather I understand how busy you are these days, with tourism season fast approaching.

Don’t worry, the show was kind of a drag this year. Jack Nicholson and Meryl Streep (and a very, very old Mickey Rooney and Lauren Bacall) were the only real movie stars present. Likewise, Jon Stewart was a pretty bland host and the entire event seemed almost completely devoid of glamour. Personally, I was more upset over Dolly Parton’s loss, than the failure of Brokeback Mountain to win best picture. Sure Brokeback Mountain was far better than Crash, but it’s all politics, you see?

After the sheer disappointment of the Oscars, I’ve decided that I am only going to the theater to watch crappy movies from here on out. Last week, I went with some friends to see Nightwatch, the Russian horror flick starring vodka-guzzling vampires, that caused such a big stir in Russia. Now that was a bad movie! Upon leaving the theater, we found the East Village to be eerily empty, maybe due to the time of week, a Sunday evening, or people were just scared shitless, as I admittedly am at the moment.


Yet this is all old hat and I feel like a failure of a blogger. I don’t want to let you down, Toby Shuster, of Jerusalem, so I will persevere to keep you better informed in entries to come. However, to tell the truth, this whole blogging thing is more of a pain in the ass than I expected. And if I hadn’t made a bet, with a certain buddy, to blog five days a week for the next month, then I probably would’ve thrown in the towel by now.

Some day, the two of us, both Toby Shuster’s, should join forces and go see a movie together. It has to be a really overrated movie, though, because those seem to be the best kind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home