Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Mouth of a Story



Last year, I joined a book club that I found on Craigslist and it was pretty fulfilling, for a short while. I only made it to three meetings because I was the only one who showed up for the fourth meeting.

There is nothing on this earth that can make you feel like more of a loser than being stood up by your book club.

Fuckers.

Now I have joined a new book club and this time I'm not meeting with Craigslist floozies; I'm meeting with friends of a friend. These people are now my friends and so the odds of being stood up are slimmed down considerably.

Last night, we met at La Grainne Cafe on 9th Ave to discuss John Banville's The Sea. Unfortunately, I had already eaten dinner, but La Grainne serves very fine looking crepes that I will have to try next time.

And the book? I recommend this read if you like ponderous, depressing, yet beautifully written, Irish novels about a narrator mourning the loss of his wife while revisiting the sea of his childhood, metaphors included.

I will say this: Hemingway and Melville are solid, yet no one writes about the sea like the Irish do.

There were three of us at that meeting last night. I'm not sure if three people constitutes a club but it's good enough for me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like this better than cascades of mysterious photos and a few chops.

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you read caucasia by danzy senna? i read it for my book club a few years ago and it was great.
chelsea

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo, let's see some updates!

10:54 PM  
Blogger Joe Jubinville said...

Speaking of seafaring lore and the island nations that produce it, Mishima's "The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea" is a poignant and harrowing example. The location was transfered from Japan to Dover for the movie.

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home