Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Kids With Guns



So I have this other roommate, named Brittany, but she isn't nearly as fun to write about as Anne. Brittany is sweet. She looks like Katie Couric and everything she does is sweet. She has a very steady boyfriend, named Ned, who lives in Hoboken, and is equally as sweet. She's so sweet that after I helped edit her essays for grad school, she made me a batch of brownies. So sweet was this act, that she burned them a little bit, just because she knows I like slightly burnt brownies.

Anyway, Brittany is what you might call a homebody. She loves TV and she watches a lot of it. I try to bond with her by watching a TV show together about once a week. This worked well until Project Runway went into its off-season. Since then, we have run through the gamut of mindless programming. There was that mother swapping show, unethical; Desperate Housewives, unsavory; and 24, unsettling.

She LOVES the OC, so I tried that one out for a while. During my second episode, I jumped up from the couch, ran into the kitchen, and poured myself a glass of Brita-filtered water. I couldn't take it anymore. Why are all of those kids so blonde and stupid and why do they always throw fancy banquets and where do they get all those guns?? Those are absolutely the most dim-witted kids I've ever seen.

We finally made a compromise on this television show called House. The writing for this show is pretty mediocre (it's not Doctor Who) and it's kind of a rip-off of ER and CSI. But to me, it has all of the components for a quality thirty minutes: it's gory and bizarre and the leading characters are easy on the eyes and, evidently, quite learned. Also, the drama is kept to a minimum, because the characters never allow their interpersonal relationships to interfere with their work. So if you miss one or two episodes, you're not left out on your ass for the entire season. Mainly, though, I have developed the strangest attraction to Dr. House. Dr. House is sooooo sooo sexy! I mean, he's sexy for an older, pompous, pill-popping gimp. And I really want to do it with Dr. House, Jane Fonda&Jon Voight/Coming Home style. Totally.

3 Comments:

Blogger ultrafknbd said...

Look at you with your gots to get me some House. The show's a schlock but that Hugh Laurie is a monsta - H.L. Mencken with a Nietzschian medical degree. The show is worthy only because of Laurie and his Jeeves and Wooster cynical yet logically conclusive adlibs (I'm assuming so because he has written well in the past). And all those inside shots of guts and what-nots that House, CSI, and others showcase are lifted straight outta David O. Russell's Three Kings. The disappointing thing about the show is that they don't let him outright slay the conventional issues that the show touts as controversial - they pretend to crack the ice only to skate on it later. Don't get me started on fantastical carte blanche medical care for all - beyond farce.

So I guess, here's to the seemingly only atheist doc (or person for that matter) on teevee today. Unless you count Marcus Welby, that is.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Toby Shuster said...

yeah, yeah, yeah, theorize it all you want. but when it comes down to it, dr. house carries that show because he is soooo sooo handsome.

10:43 AM  
Blogger ultrafknbd said...

And he rides a motorcycle.

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home