Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Public Service Announcement

Do not get your hair cut by a student, no matter how fancy or hip the salon is or what bargain you think you are getting. At first I liked the idea of helping a sister out; she was a student who, like me, is just starting out in the city, and she needed a hair model. I've been meaning to get a haircut for some time now and I liked the idea of paying $20 for what would normally be an $85 style. We would have been okay, too, if it weren't for that damned curly-topped teacher of hers. "No!" Chop. "You're not doing it right!" Chop. "You need to move WITH the hair!" Chop. Now my hair is shorter than it's ever been, or at least since birth. It's if-I-didn't-like-boys-you'd-think-I-was-butch short. I don't know which is more nauseating, my reflection or this. I wish I could find some deeper meaning in this experience, perhaps about the teacher's imposing presence in the creative process or the clashing of opinions on aesthetics, but all I really feel like doing is calling my mother and crying. I hate to be superficial, but it's my hair and I wear it every day!

8 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

That is not superficial. A person's hair is extremely important. I have to tell you that when I was a student, I jacked up a few people's haircuts. However, if you're the teacher, that shouldn't be happening.

I'm sorry. I'm so sad right now.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Toby Shuster said...

fine. it's not superficial, it's vain. and yeah, that shouldn't have happened with the teacher who, by the way, had a head that looked like damp pubic hair.

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

O my god toby-- These situations you get yourself into!

But-- it did work great with your "chop" motif.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Toby Shuster said...

jerome, jerome from SU that's in boston? is that you?

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, You don't know me. I'm just a fan of your blog.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Toby Shuster said...

where's your blog, huh?

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you always hate your haricuts! let's see a pho-to, lady friend, and i'll tell you if it sucks or not.

what should I do with my hair. I'm trying to grow it out, but getting really bored.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Toby Shuster said...

yeah, but this time i mean it. and you're not going to see a picture for at least two months, sorry.

as for your hair, cut it off. long hair is for suckers. just don't cut it all off, then you will most definitely regret it.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home