Monday, March 20, 2006

Hearts In The Beerlight

My stomach was still staggering a bit from the sushi fiasco, so I abstained from drinking on the night of St. Patrick’s Day. I think this made me the only sober person in all of New York, bringing me to one conclusion: my friends are idiots and I love them for it.


There were two rooftops, one in the middle of Manhattan and one in Bushwick. Some day, I’d like to hang out on a rooftop when it’s not freezing outside, like so:



Oh, and another realization: parties are always more fun in Brooklyn rather than Manhattan. But I think I already figured that one out about three months ago.

So there was dancing and smoking and cookies and awkward exchanges and more dancing. And then some more dancing until, finally, it was 4:30 in the morning and a select few of us realized that we were the last ones standing and it was time to go home.

Saturday was my favorite pen-pal’s show at Piano’s, followed by the long awaited Silver Jews show at Webster Hall. They were good, just as good as you would expect. But if I may make one suggestion to Mr. Berman for next time: don’t let your wife hog the microphone.

My stomach was 99% better that evening, so I rewarded it with wine in my newest friend’s apartment and whiskey sours at the Milk Bar. Yeah, like in the movie.

Somewhere in that weekend, there was a series of shadow puppets, a wager between strangers about my real age, pizza, a Broadway show, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels , and quite a few missed connections.

Sunday was devoted to sleeping allllll day, until ‘V for Vendetta,’ which, like the Silver Jews, was just as good as I expected. Screw all the mixed reviews, any super hero who speaks in alliteration is fine by me.

Anyway, as always, I am assertive and askew in another afternoon, anxiously anticipating an amusing anecdote answering an awry aspect of alternative aspiration.

Edit: According to one critic, "toby, just one thing. I wish you reviewed v for vendetta. i wanted to know your thoughts on the film. that's what your post should really be about, the film, as it made a strong impression on you, whereas the parties didn't seem to thrill you much."
But I don't have time today, because management is breathing down my neck(well, not really. i've just always wanted to say that), so I'll do a movie review for tomorrow's post.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wine and whiskey sours? Together? I'm surprised your stomach didn't take a turn for the worse.
IamsomadatyouIwanttoseeVforVendettasobad.
Atleast you said it's good. I trust your judgement.
Oh, and is that picture from Dr. Zhivago? Because I effing love that movie.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Toby Shuster said...

ok, don't trust my judgement on the whiskey sour/wine combo; it only works if you drink a very minimal amount of each.

yah, that's from dr. zhivago, the coldest movie i could think of on the spot.

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home