Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Brighten the Corners



Dear Job.

I once mentioned how much I loathe this sort of thing. Let’s see...how do I say it? It’s over. It’s not that I did not enjoy spending my summer days editing nursing manuals in a cube that was twenty below zero. I just have to move on now.

No, job, I don’t want you to think that I’m ungrateful for everything you gave me. Our time together was brief, but I’ll remember it all: the hurried lunch breaks in Bryant Park, the enlightenment of the nursing & self-help industry, the cushy summer hours, the pay checks.

And my dear, dear cubicle. Oh how I’ll miss your suffocating embrace, the haven you offered when I would tumble into work after only four hours of sleep, not really fit to concentrate on anything more than a stodgy manuscript with ‘Symphonological’ in the title. You were so cute with your little made up words.

Alas, job, you were a summer fling and nothing more. Now I am sorry to report that I have fallen for another. Isn’t he a beauty? Indeed, the most stunning site in all of cyberspace. Sure, he’s younger than you, and offers less security, but how could I possibly turn that down? Others agree. Sorry, job, you'll just have to come to terms with the fact that I am not meant to be pussyfooting around in a 9-5 cubicle farm just yet.

Fondly Yours,
Toby

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations, tobes!! give me a call if you need me to send you some ramen noodles.
-mm

12:23 PM  
Blogger Em said...

Wow, congrats Toby!!! That's f'in awesome. Remember when you, me, and Adam were sitting in a bar together [almost] tearfully talking about how much we hated our jobs and just wanted to do something [relatively] worthwhile with our lives?

Well, just look at the three of us now! Just one year later and we're all out of the cubicle business.

Good for you.

xo.
em

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home